Are there foods that can help increase sperm count?
Roughly half of all couples who struggle with infertility do so because of a problem with the man’s fertility. The most common cause of male infertility is a low sperm count.
There are several dietary measures that a man who has a low sperm count can take to attempt to increase his sperm count, including:
- Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
- Eliminate alcohol intake. In addition to the general nutritional benefits of avoiding alcohol, avoiding alcohol may also assist with sexual performance issues.
- Identify and avoid food allergies.
- Raw sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds have been shown to help with male fertility. It is recommended that a man with a low sperm count eat 1/4 cup of raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds each day.
- Drink at least 48 ounces of water every day.
- When possible, try to eat organic foods. Some studies suggest a connection between chemical fertilizers and pesticides with both male and female infertility.
As you can see, many of these dietary changes are not only useful in increasing sperm count, many of them just make nutritional sense as well!
There are also a variety of vitamin supplements that may assist with low sperm count. They include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B12 Selenium
- Zinc Arginine
Other important lifestyle changes can also help increase sperm count, such as:
- Exercise. Regular exercise will help reduce stress, but be careful. Excessive exercise can cause harm, as can certain exercises that may negatively impact the testicles, such as bicycling.
- Ejaculating less often. The more often a man ejaculates, the less dense the semen will be. Maintain a gap of three days between ejaculations.
- Refrain from smoking.
- Massage body with herbal oil, which may improve blood circulation.
- Have sex in the early morning or afternoon. It is believed that sperm levels are often highest in the morning.
- Avoid tight underwear, saunas, and whirlpools, all of which may increase the temperature of the testicles.