How To Make a Diaper Cake
A diaper cake is such a beautiful addition to any baby shower, regardless of the size of the baby shower. The diaper cake makes a gorgeous centerpiece and after the baby shower, it goes home with the mom-to-be and everything it is comprised of is, is useful and needed for the baby.
You can purchase many different types of diaper cakes from online resources, or you could use your imagination and create a one of kind design yourself. Below is a list of supplies to get your started to create your own diaper cake. Use your imagination when adding the extraâ€™s to decorate your cake, so that it takes on the theme that compliments the baby shower. This recipe can be adjusted if a larger cake is desired.
Step 1 â€“ Gather your â€œbakingâ€ supplies. You will need the following:
- Approximately 50 medium size disposable diapers. You may use the newborn diapers, but it will take more diapers
- 16â€ disposable cardboard platter (usually found at a party supply store. (Any large platter would serve the purpose)
- Thin rubber bands to hold the diapers once they have been rolled. Some people prefer to use ribbon. I find this a little more time consuming. If you choose to use ribbon, you will need one foot of ribbon per rolled diaper.
- 5-6 feet of Â¼ â€œto Â½â€ ribbon for a snug tight tie to hold the layers together.
- 8 â€“ 10 feet of 1″ wide ribbon for finishing the tiers.
- 1 Large baby bottle for the center top portion of the cake.
- Small candies to fill the baby bottle such as pastel dinner mints
- Double sided Adhesive tape
- Small baby necessities such as pacifiers, teething ring, comb, brush, rattles, bibs, nail clippers, thermometer, baby booties, baby spoon, etc.
Step 2 â€“ Time to â€œbakeâ€ your diaper cake!
- Decide if you want the printed top portion of the diaper to be seen around your cake, or if you prefer it to be all white.
- Start rolling your diapers in tight rolls. Try use consistency in rolling so that they all appear the same. Use a rubber band on each to hold it.
Once you have all your diapers rolled, you are ready to begin creating each later of the cake. You will make three layers and it would be helpful to have someone assist you to help you hold things together while you tie it into place.
- Beginning with the top tier: Start with the baby bottle, and stand 5-6 diapers around the bottle and time them snuggly into place with the 1â€ ribbon. Fill the baby bottle with the candy (q-tips or cotton balls is another filler idea)
- Next, you will create the second tier with approximately 15 diapers. Tie tightly together with the narrow ribbon.
- Finally, the third and largest tier using approximately 27 diapers. In order to make tying simplest, create the center. Tie this all together and then continue to place diapers around this circle. Tie again. Then stand the final row of diapers around this circle and tie it once more securing it with the thinner ribbon.
Step 3 â€“ Icing the cake
- Using double sided adhesive tape, place several pieces on the platter. This will hold the diapers in place and keep the cake from sliding off the platter.
- Place the second tier on top of the base and attach with the double sided adhesive tape to the lower tier.
- Place the smallest tier on top and attach as you did the other tiers.
- Add the tiny baby accessories by tucking them round the outside of the cake. Slide them beneath the ribbon so that they are held snuggly in place
- Finally, finish the cake with the one-inch ribbon wrapped around each tier to help secure the accessories and provide a finishing touch.